Saturday, October 16, 2010

Thinking aloud - Sweeping while customer eats?






I was at this coffee shop having my lunch this afternoon when one of the staffs started sweeping around the place. I tell you, nothing pisses me off more than when someone does this while the rest of the world is eating.

This isn’t the first time I see it happening here. It’s a common thing for staffs to do at coffee shops, mamak shops & fast food chains, to save time. Though I understand that the owner is trying their utmost to keep the place clean, but to have your staffs sweep the floor while customers are in the midst of eating, is just beyond me…! I think that it is so so rude..!




                                                 Picture taken from here



Each time it happens, I will eye the guy from far, watching him like a hawk while he/she slowly gets closer and closer to my table. When they get too near, I will put down my cutlery and tell them off. At times they seem to be at a lost, coz I am sure they were under instructions to keep themselves busy and useful while customers are eating, especially during the low peak hour.

At certain mamaks or coffee shop where I am a regular, the bosses will tell the staff to avoid the area around my table, in respect of my wish, but that’s not the point I’m trying to highlight here.

Where is their sense of hygiene and courtesy to customers..?!?!

The level of airborne dust that sweeping creates or bring up is just beyond description.

I know a lot of people feel the same way as I do, but the thing is that, they choose to ignore or close an eye to it. This I cannot accept. Being in a third world country, trying to move up to first world, we need to guide and educate people of all level that it is not an acceptable thing to do. There must be better ways to carry out the cleaning process without affecting the dining guests.



My suggestions
1) They can try to use a push broom that picks up dust and rubbish off the floor, that pushes them straight into the dustpan with cover (if someone or kids did a mess up on the floor).






2) Designate a specific time of the day (off peak time), close section by section while you sweep and clean. Not sweep around dining guests, please..!


We can make this a better place to eat in, but everyone need to play a role in highlighting the "in-appropriate thing" about sweeping while customers are dining, and not ignore it. Ignoring it will only mean you are giving them a silent consent to what they are doing, hence encouraging it further.






5 comments:

  1. Hi Moon I read your thoughts about sweeping while customer eats just today August 17 2018. I had a similar experience and was writting to the head office of a chain restaurant to make a complaint about their staff sweeping around us while we eat...it is so disgusting. I had to laugh reading your post as we are not in a third world country in Canada but we do experience the same lack of knowledge in hygiene....funny isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. If y’all think it’s disgusting ur literally boomers. You literally go to a restaurant and reuse the same silverware and plates and dining seats as hundreds of other guests... but somehow a broom against a floor disgusts you? I hope you realize people are just trying to do their jobs and keep them. Working in a restaurant isn’t an easy gig, and being rude to the staff only makes you known as an asshole throughout the restaurant. If you want to complain, literally go somewhere else and stop being rude to the staff. We try our hardest every day to serve people like you who don’t even appreciate the little things we do, earning minimum wage. So, karen, how about you stop being rude to young adults and make your own coffee and food at home. I’m 100% sure you’re over the age of 40 because no millennial or Gen Z person would ever care enough to complain like this. People like you are why restaurant employees are miserable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I know why you work in restaurant!

      Delete
    2. I work at one of the busiest and best restaurants in New York City and as a professional, I literally had to goodle “sweeping while eating” because this is my number one pet peev!!! I personally sweep my apartment and I see so much dust fly into the air!! This is common sense and I just cannot deal with this while I’m eating! I immediately get the ick!! It’s even worst when someone literally touches my food with a broom as I am shoving food in my mouth! It’s so freaking rude to me and I makes me feel absolutely disgusted like this person is physically touching my food and making me move around THEM cleaning! It is just so gross. We don’t do this at all in my restaurant but it’s when I am off work and enjoy myself eating out that when I see this happen, every time like clock work I get the immediate ick! It’s my top pet peev lol

      Delete
  3. Same happened to me yesterday! I went to daycare to pick up my grand daughter; kids were still eating and I decide to wait until she finishes; 10 min I was chatting with teacher while other teacher was sweeping the floor right beside kids were eating. I was in shock; I
    came home and told this to my daughter and guess what?!?! My both daughters are daycare teachers. They just start laughing. They said I am overreacting everybody does this and this is normal. I do not see this as normal. I am a nurse in LTC and I can tell you something, when my patients/residents are eating there is nice quiet music so they can enjoy; any cleaning is forbidden until meal is done. In the country I grew up same, sweeping floor while someone is eating is so disrespectful and non hygienic. So I am glad to hear there are more people who think same like me.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails